Wednesday, June 22, 2011

"...to boldly go where no [me] has gone before."

3 days ago a got a phone call. An incredibly exciting, good news bringing, make me want to sing kind of phone call. This call started with small talk and then proceeded with an offer, an amazing, unrefusable (not really sure if that is a word) offer.

You are now reading the words of a Broughton High School teacher (again!) Yay! I am absolutely stunned that I was re-offered the position so quickly, seeing as the budget has not even been approved yet. With all my excitement, there is also a bit of disdain :( I could be (and most likely will be) teaching a couple 12th grade classes this year. Scary; those kids are huge! As a begin to prepare and work to calm my nerves, I will begin to blaze new trails in the world of Cassie. I have taught 9th grade English, I have taught 11th grade English, and I have even taught 12th graders...in a Study Skills class, but I have never taught a 12th grade English class. Let the adventure begin...

As part of my new assignment, I figure I might need to brush up on my British Literature (puke,) since in college I only begrudgingly read the assignments for my Brit Lit classes. Oh does that take me back to failed quizzes and angry, prejudiced teachers-all stories for another day. Now my reading must begin. Let's see what kind of reading list we can pull together:

  • Pygmalion- never read
  • Macbeth- read and really enjoyed
  • Beowulf- never read
  • Canterbury Tales- love!
  • Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde- never read but very interested in!
  • 1984- never read
  • A Tale of Two Cities- never read
  • Meditation 17- never read
  • Shooting an Elephant- never read
  • Rosencrantz and Gildenstern Are Dead- never read
I must say I have my reading list cut out for me for the rest of the summer. Not to mention, I really need to refresh a lot of my 9th Grade lit, specifically some of the supplemental texts that Wake County uses. Anyone have any suggestions on which to start first? Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and A Tale of Two Cities are definitely at the top of my list :) I am very excited and will definitely keep you updated on the adventures I embark on through text!!

...off to buy books!

1 comment:

  1. Oh! I've read most of these but not since high school. I'd love to read them again and actually have Tale of Two Cities sitting on my nightstand! Maybe we can do our own little summer book club!

    ReplyDelete