Sunday, February 19, 2012

Why I'm Worried...

Jason and I don't have children yet, but it is a plan for the future. One of the potential ideas we have is to home-school our children. Even though I am licensed as a high school English teacher, I still have a jump start on lots of home-schooling-parents because I have taken so many education and child psychology courses for my degree. I would like to take more courses if this is something we pursue, but I will figure that out with time.

The dilemma I have at the moment (besides the fact I have to keep correcting my spelling because I am typing so fast) is that there are so many positives and negatives to both sides of education. I say both because to me there are really only two choices: home-schooling and public education. I don't know that I can justify our savings on private school since most students (including college level) don't truly appreciate the opportunities that come through education until they are gone.

[[I do speak from experience on this- I wish that I had been less focused on work and my lack of social life because I worked obsessively, and more focused on what I was learning. It would really benefit me to have read all those required texts in college. I am just such a slow reader and it would have taken forever.]]

Consequently, I am left with the option of public or home. As a public school teacher, I feel that I can truly speak to many of the pros and cons, especially since I went through public education myself. I know I may sound like a crazy, paranoid, conservative lady here, but I was exposed to a lot of inappropriate, lude, crude, tramatic STUFF throughout my years in public school. No, I may not have turned out terribly because of it, but I would like to prolong my children's exposure to some of this stuff for a while if I can. Of course it does hit a point where informed citizens do have to know what is out there, especially so they can make informed decisions for themselves (so no, I am not trying to take away my children's agency,) but I feel like my kids don't need to hear about condoms, drugs, thongs, and such until at least middle school...am I crazy?!

However, here is where my personal experiences with public school really make it hard to say that my children will be truly successful and educationally aware to the extent that they will be utterly brilliant and incredibly successful individuals....(it will take me a minute to get to it, but I promise I will get to my point)...

Some of our plans (desires) for home-schooling our children is the ability to take them to museums and galleries and shows around the country. We don't have to worry about permission forms, inadequate bagged lunches, or whether or not mom can get off work to help chaperone. We can teach the history of wars and visit the monuments and memorials that accompany them to help our children understand the reality. I can teach the Irish Potato Famine and take them to Ireland if I really want to. I want to increase their exposure (to important life things) and give them the ability to grow through the experiences we are able to offer them.
I don't want my children to be those weird shut-ins that often result from home-schooling. I want them to participate in community sports, music, and dance if that is what they are interested in, so they can take lessons and be on teams and expand their talents that they worked for before they came to earth.
I want to have days that we get together with other home-schoolers and have lessons together and take field trips together, so they can be exposed to others and others' opinions. I don't want them to be shut off in a world with no diversity, but...public education gives a wonderful opportunity for diversity...

Various cultures, religions, ethnicities exist under the same roof and even within the same walls. My children would have the opportunity to interact with people of different social classes and various walks of life; they would be exposed to multiple opinions so they are not biased or restricted by simply what their parents and close friends think and feel.

Public education gives them the ability to share what they have learned with others and learn from the comments and suggestions of their peers. So often, during a lesson, my students will comment on something they felt or discovered while reading...something that never even occurred to me. How will my children be exposed to the various ah-ha moments that truly make group learning and discovery such a vital part of the human experience. Watching daredevil friends on the monkey bars, which later inspires unimagined and unpredicted adventure.

I don't want to take these experiences away from my children. I was educated through public education, and I turned out fine (...I think). Aside from all the crazy government influences on education, and the decreasing quality of teachers, and the radically obtuse exposure they will have to undergo...is public education such a bad option?

I just don't know...

4 comments:

  1. Here's my basic opinion. The world is a scary place and public schools are high on the list of dangerous places for our kids. I have been blessed that in most cases I have had the opportunity to have a say whether or not my kids participate in certain events and I have always been the parent that asks to see the curriculum if it's in question. I find that teachers are actually excited to see a parent care even if it means my kids don't participate. (Though I did have Dade participate in the abstinence class in middle school after talking with his teacher and studying the curriculum my self.) In truth if there was ever a point where there was no choice in the matter my child would be pulled from school. Because of such things and the world (and all the crazy things kids face from other kids) I have often contemplated home schooling but prayer has usually just directed us to another school or to have some good heart to heart talks with my kids. HOmeschooling works for many. BUT, upon careful conversation with my Father in Heaven I was comforted that public school would be okay. There was a point though when Corben was in 2nd grade that I got a different impression and pulled Corben out of school for a few months. I think there is a time and a season for everything and for everyone. Each kid is different, each school is different, each parent is different, and each new year is different in all that our kids can and will be facing. I think it's a case by case basis and it may take meeting your kids and evaluating where you are in the world and in life to decide what's right for your family or even that individual child. I have friends who homeschool some and not others of their children. Educate yourself so your decision is a smart one but know that it's the answers you get from your Father in Heaven that will tell you the way to go when it's time. And trust me...you've got LOTS of time. You're gonna be such a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I researched homeschooling for 10 years before I actually did it. Now I have been homeschooling for 12 years. So that's 22 years of research and "field" work. So I have to say Cassie, you may have experience with public school training, but this:

    "I don't want my children to be those weird shut-ins that often result from home-schooling."

    ...reflects an idea that is simply not true....homeschooling DOES NOT OFTEN result in weird shut-ins. In fact, in my own experience I have found that more often than not, homeschooled kids are better socialized than their public schooled peers. They are usually exposed to many different age groups instead of just their peer group, and so they usually learn to communicate with a wider variety of people. They also seem to be more comfortable asking questions in new and unfamiliar settings with people like tour guides, visiting speakers, and the like. And I have been around literally hundreds of homeschooled kids (and I'm not exaggerating).

    I am on the board for a national LDS homeschool association that sponsors an annual home education conference....actually two...one for adults and one for youth (they run concurrently). These kids are so supportive of each other, so kind, so happy and good-natured, so fun-loving, so thirsty for knowledge, so willing to learn. Not that they corner the market on these qualities. I'm just saying that until you have been exposed to lots of homeschoolers, you really don't know what they are like. Too many people base their entire opinion of homeschooling on "that one weird family" they know.

    Also...define "weird". Some people define kids as weird when they actually enjoy learning. Some people define kids as weird when they spend hours on something other than TV/video games. Most people have an erroneous view of homeschoolers and of homescooling....an overused stereotype of socially awkward geeks who can't look anyone in the eye. This may happen occasionally, but it is not due to homeschooling.

    The weirdo homeschool kid is the exception and not the rule. I have found that whether a kid is weird/awkward almost always has to do with the family dynamic and NOT the choice of education. I have known many socially inept (almost socially paralyzed) teens who have been public schooled their entire lives. Trust me here. The whole socialization thing is a myth. Actually, it's a big joke in the homeschooling world. Ask the question "What about socialization?" to a homeschooler and they will probably smirk. Sometimes they will even say, with a twinkle in their eye, "YES! That is one of the biggest reasons we started homeschooling!"

    No matter what you choose, you will miss out on something. In some places, homeschooled kids can participate in some extracurricular public school activities if they take a certain academic class. Not where I live. So I sacrifice that. But to me, it is worth it.

    It's a big decision. One that I came to through much thought and prayer (and 10 years of research!). It was and is the right thing for our family to homeschool. It's not for everyone. Not necessarily because they can't handle it (so many people say that to me) but sometimes because they just aren't meant to for whatever reason. Not part of their mission or the mission of their kids.

    Good luck with your decision! Education is a powerful treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making decisions for our children is definitely the hardest. I'm sure you'll know what's right for yours.

    ReplyDelete