Saturday, December 29, 2012

One Proud Sister

" ...faith [without] works, is dead...Yea, a man may say, thou hast faith, and I have works:
shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works."
James 2:17-18

Today I get to brag about my little brother.  He chose to serve the Lord through a 2-year proselytizing mission, and left December 18th for the Missionary Training Center in Salt Lake City.  In our church, young men  used to be able to leave on a mission at 19 years old.  When Mason turned 19, he didn't jump up and down ecstatically and leave right away...he just wasn't ready.  Then, almost a year later, he started talking about going on a mission, and slowly but surely began completely the paperwork, doctor's appointments, and other processes in preparation for his mission.  Now, almost 2 years after his 19th birthday, Mason has begun an amazing journey.  He waited until he was ready, and I know that because of that, he will be able to serve humbly and selflessly.

I'm a little envious.  I believe this is an incredibly faith building opportunity, not to mention the spiritual rewards that must come from choosing to serve the Lord and His children, rather than oneself, for TWO years.  Today I hold my brother, and all other missionaries in our church, in high regard as Christmas came and went without the typical family celebration.  These young men and women know about sacrifice, about love, and about dedication.

Thank you, Mason, for your example to me and to our family.  I love you big, little brother! Great job!

Go here to find out more about LDS Missionaries and what they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment