Saturday, November 23, 2013

In Thanks-Giving: Day 2

 

Day 2: Saturday, November 23, 2013

On the Drive

Driving to Greenville today, to celebrate Thanksgiving and Mom’s birthday early, I had the opportunity to listen to several amazing songs.  Before Jason’s passing, we began listening to a Contemporary Christian station, “HIS Radio.”  I never knew Christian music could be so awesome!  Not only is is packed with positive, faith-inspiring messages, it is clean, and it is actually fairly…contemporary!  Needless to say, we enjoy it…back to the point: today I heard some awesome songs that inspire me, so I thought I should share one!

As I began to sing along, I was flooded with thoughts of “what faith [truly] can do,” and I was reminded of Ether 12: 4, which states,

“Wherefore, whoso believeth in God might with surety hope for a better world, yea, even a place at the right hand of God, which hope cometh of faith, maketh an anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God.”

“…hope cometh of faith, [and] maketh an anchor.” I have heard people say that religion is needed because people need something to hope for.  Oh how that only scrapes the surface.  Yes, my religion does give me hope, and that hope is nothing without my personal faith…in God, in His plan, and in His promises.  To me, “faith is things which are hoped for, and not seen” (Ether 12:6), so yes, religion gives me something to hope for, and only because I have faith in the promises that have been made to me.  Take a look at the imagery in the passage: it makes “an anchor.”  Merriam-Webster defines anchor, “something that serves to hold an object firmly.” Mere belief does not anchor, but faith-based knowledge does! 

Now for the “what faith can do” part: it “would make [men] sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works.”  I’m pretty sure the world could use a few more people who are “sure and steadfast.”  I know I can use a little more “steadfast-ness” in my life.  Then we would abound in good works, not merely doing good works, but “abounding” in them!  I long to abound in good works.

Because of hope, I have a bright future ahead of me.  I can wake up everyday and go to sleep every night with the hope of a better, brighter day in my future.  Hope gets me out of bed each day, gets me working towards the goals Jason and I set, gets me dreaming of my mansions above.

I want to leave you with one more song that reminded me today that my hope has become an anchor to me these last 6 months. Enjoy!

I am hopeful that I can accomplish anything I put my mind to as long as God is by my side, and Jason is rooting me on.  Here’s to hope = my anchor in times of sadness.

No comments:

Post a Comment